Welcome to Day 2 of the Jasper Messenger Bag Sewalong.
Day 1 we printed our pattern and cut our bag out ready to get started. Day 2 is all about the flap of the bag.
A fun little fact: The Jasper Messenger Bag was launched at Quirky Moo 2023. The flap was designed the correct size to house an applique by my friend Mandy from Sew Quirky called “Flora The Echidna”. The exciting part of this is that the Jasper Messenger Bag flap panel is large enough to show off different types of craft genres including: quilt blocks, sashiko panels, english paper piecing, weaving, foundation paper piecing or large scale fabric panels! The options are endless.
Here is a list of some of my designer buddies who’s patterns would look awesome on the Jasper Messenger Bag Flap (I am sure there are lots I have missed, feel free to post them below this blog post):
OK let’s get started on our flap.
- Piping is an interesting feature to add to the flap of your bag. Here is a Youtube vid which may help you with this optional extra.
- Remember to heat seal the webbing before you add them to the flap
- You may also like to alter the interfacing in your bag flap and body to suit your needs. If you use foam in the bag body, i suggest still using fleece in the bag flap so it folds nicely
- If you are choosing an applique or other feature design on your bag, position it 2″ down from the straight edge or you lose some of the design at the top of the bag where the flap overhangs
- Make sure the buckles are facing the right way around as they tend to not work when on back to front (ask me how I know)
I would love to see your completed bag flap, feel free to post a pic in my FB Group, Little Moo Designs Sewcialists.
Remember to use the #littlemoodesigns #jmgsewalong #jaspermessengerbag on socials.
Catch you tomorrow for Day 3!